I followed in Julia's footsteps by using the bodice from the pattern but altering the skirt to a pencil skirt that I had to draft. It was a bloody nightmare! But three toiles later and I had a skirt that fit. I think it was worth it in the end though and I love the fit of this dress.
I moved the zipper from the side to the back but I couldn't find an invisible zipper so it looks a bit rubbish. I'll probably leave it at the side next time (and there will definitely be a next time).
I really like the V shape in the back of the dress. Because I moved the zip the collar isn't joined like it is in the original pattern which made it a bit trickier. I had an absolute nightmare with the collar, I just couldn't get my head around the instructions so in the end I bodged it and kind of regretted it. It's a bit unfinished and has all kinds of loose ends and fraying on it.
I made the dress out of 100% wool crepe from Linton Tweeds in Carlise and it is as bright as the pictures look.
A couple of things I will change next time:
- Figure out how to do the collar properly!
- Adjust the bodice slightly (the skirt fits amazingly but I can't actually breathe).
- I would keep the zip in the side seam.
- The darts in the back don't match up so I'll have do some adjustments somewhere.
- And finally, line the whole dress rather than just the bodice. Yes, you can see my tights through it but it's not too bad in daylight. Honest!